Dj's United

Hopefully, this'll be the first of many similar threads. Its simply a bit'o'fun but one that could help newbies, and the seasoned DJ alike.

Heres the scenario...

You're a mobile DJ, at a wedding reception, all the usual age ranges eg: 5 to 75...you've played the kids records, awarded the prizes for musical statues, musical bumps etc and you've exhausted all the kids that were running around, hurling themselves at your lightscreens, running and sliding across the polished dancefloor into your speakers, and swinging each other around by the ankles, until an "accidental" lack of grip sends Little Timmy hurtling onto the yet to be filled, buffet table...

The Bride and Grooms first dance ("ma na ma na" by the muppets!) has just been played, and you've got a full dancefloor of couples, to the two follow-up smootchies that are just coming to an end.

On goes "Atomic Kitten: The Tide is high"

What would you (virtually) play next?

Now this is intended as a "rolling" topic...eg: Each person replies to the previous persons suggestion...(not 395 answers to what to play after "Atomic Kitten: Tide is high")

GO !!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now to act as devils advocate

what if you would not play atomic kitten

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

QUOTE (BigE @ Jul 7 2003, 11:05 AM)
Maybe a little sugababes, Round Round...

After the Sugarbabes...Hmmmm Robbie Williams - Rock D.J

...may be interesting for Gary to be the "Virtual Dancefloor" and report back the current Dancefloor Reaction at various stages of the thread http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Being able to read the dancefloor and your audience's reaction, is all part of music planning, along with with what track follows what. So would make an interesting thread!.

Dancefloor fairly full when Atomic kitten and suga babes came on.

When Rock DJ started, some of the younger dancers went back to seats, but were replaced 30 seconds later by slightly older dancers eg: 25~30 year olds.

Mainly girls on the dancefloor, and not a handbag in sight!

Rock DJ is has one minute remaining.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Whats next?

When Rock DJ started, some of the younger dancers went back to seats, but were replaced 30 seconds later by slightly older dancers eg: 25~30 year olds.

hmm, so we've played a few from this decade but nothing more than 5 years old as yet; don't want the oldies to feel we're gonna leave them out, and have them start whinging to the bride, so let's mix in Stayin Alive-Bee Gees...

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

so let's mix in Stayin Alive-Bee Gees...

...and switch the mirror ball on... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Hmmm decisions, decisions...I'm so tempted to up the tempo slightly to Amii Stewart - Knock on wood, or should I try a few more classics and bung on Rose Royce Car Wash??

I think i'll play it reasonably safe for now and try Billy Ocean - Love really hurts without you http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Ok, floor has cleared.....

Just kidding....the floor is now predominantly 20years + and 75% full.

I'm going from Billy Ocean....to Chain Reaction...either the Diana Ross version...or maybe announce the Steps version, to give the younger members of the audience a name that they've heard of.

So, Chain reaction it is....one of those strange records thats about 130bpm, but doesnt sound that fast.

Well i would play the nolan's i'm in the mood for dacing next!! i like this game! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bearing in mind the attention span of guests - mixing records (straight BPM) could offer a variety of choices.

So I'll throw in a Ben Liebrand version of 'December 63' by Frankie V.

With a little upping of the pitch then...The 90's version of "Hot Chocolate: You sexy thing" (also Ben Liebrand remix - so nips in pretty nice)

Quick mic over about "Its a family show, so no Full Monty's fella's, ....... unless the brides mum says so..."

audience reaction: (danger, danger!)

Two possibles...(at least)

1) some fellas start taking their shirts off (lets say the kiddies have gone to bed)...the rest of the fellas dash off the floor so's not to get dragged into the fray. Some females stay and watch, whilst other females dash back to tables for camera's etc..returning with a flash ready camera, ready for a flash.

(normal comments during the instrumental bits..."would the bride like to assist?", "Well fella's this tune is a 12 inch...but I'm not sure about ....(SSHHZZZ mic failure)"..."Is that an -outty- navel? No? oh you had your boxers off already did you? Sorry..it looked like a outty...")

or

2) everyone just carries on dancing...

Place your bets... I think its option 2 at this stage...the evenings still early...

I'm moving this to the D.J Chat section for two reasons:-

(1) Hidden down here it doesn't get the attention it deserves. It also has great relevance to those starting up - to give an indication of a suitable family function playlist and music "programming".

(2) It will give Gary a wider audience for his humour http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

incidentally, I've now moved on from Hot Chocolate (I would have been tempted to play it as part of the Full Monty Megamix released by Mastermix a few years ago). I am now playing The Village People - YMCA

So What would YOU play next??......

You are now getting complaints from some of the younger audience wanting new songs they can dance to ;)

Also older ? people wanting something to jive to ...

Who are you going to cater to first ?

hey mate us Bud boys at the bar want some Prodigy Got any White stripes??

Peteee

N U F C Yea....

unless one of the bud boys was the groom then... "No sorry, Prodigy is good stuff, but we dont bring it to FAMILY occasions."

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

OK...startling (but not un-expected news) ... The manager of the venue comes over to see you (bearing a pint, if you're lucky!) and tells you that the buffet will be served in 20 minutes and that the Bride & Groom have asked for background music for 30 minutes whilst the guests natter and munch...

So...do you....

*) Just keep em dancing for 20 minutes at top speed.

*) Gradually slow things down to a "natural" stop in 20 minutes time

*) Or..10 mins of fast, and then 10 mins of idleing down? or something inbetween...???

"What yer playing next matey?"....

Keep em dancin for 10 mins faster stuff

Disco Inferno

or Candi Staton Young Hearts

Barry White 1st my last

Then to some slower latino into buffet

Peteee

N U F C Yea....

Right after the buffet wake em up with Boney M -Brown Girl In the Ring and then move onto Think- Aretha Franlkin http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Edited by djcs59

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

The "background music" gave you all the time you needed to play all those requests that you'd had in earlier, which are "fair" songs, but impossible to dance to....eg: Bohiemian Rhapsody, Christine Aguilara: Fighter, all hte ones that are too slow to dance properly to, but too fast to smootch to.

During the buffet a few teenage/early 20's dropped requests off for "Anything modern mate" and a slightly more helpful request of "Any dancey charts"

A low uptake of dancers on the floor directly after the buffet unfortunately. Maybe their little tum-tums are full.

Out goes an announcement of "In about 10 minutes time we're heading up to some chart tunes, including some requests that came in during the buffet. But right now..."

After Aretha Franklin, on goes..."The Mavericks: Dance the night away".

55% full floor, slowly rising.

Next Tom Jones - "Sexbomb" - slowly building up to the chart stuff (Try and gauge the reaction to easing them into the cheesy chart stuff before launching directly into any dance stuff).

I would probably bang on Reach by S-Club after Tom Jones and then go in to a DJ Sammy number which would bring you up to date and so give you the chance to play the all time classic which is currently in the charts called................................................................ next!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Edited by Loz
Party to the Max, With Happy Traxx