Dj's United

Anyone have any views on this?

www.allofmp3.com

"Legal" russian site charging 1 cent per Mb downloaded.

I know, I know, too good to be true, but maybe the HMV & Virgin new services will spark a price war in the other sites? I'm sure that reducing the proce still further will lead to huge profits for the record companies as more people buy more music.

Cheers,

Jack.

This is one of the sites which I was refering to on another licensing thread where I refered to the Berne Convention. This site is legit, and legal in Russia but not it would seem under our own UK copyright laws

The legalities of this site has been subject to some ongoing controversy earlier this year and is discussed Here

So, ignoring Berne Convention for one moment - technically it would be illegal to download from this legal site if you are in the UK, because the site pays the artiste their royalties directly, and cuts out the middleman / copyright agency such as the BPI / MCPS/ RIAA etc etc.

Confused?? - you should be http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wacko.gif

However, with the Berne Convention, any country which is a signed up member of Berne should allow it's own residents the right to legally download music available in other countries, provided the site is proven legal within their own jurisdiction. So if the site has been proven legal in Russia, then residents of other countries (Assuming membership of Berne) should be legally entitled to download from their site.

Well that would be the theory anyway, but like everything nothing has been said either way. I think that the following paragraph taken from the linked report sums up the situation nicely

The tussle over AllofMP3.com highlights the difficulties that copyright companies are having around the world, faced with myriad versions of laws that are often imperfectly adapted to new Internet distribution models.

Thanks Chris,

There is also a fair amount of discussion of this, and other similar sites, on Martin Lewis' board. Everyone has an opinion, but I'm not sure they get us anywhere. Only when there is some legal precedent set will the situation be clarified.

Cheers,

Jack.