Dj's United

http://www.disco.co.nz/logo.gif

Seeing as so many have asked for this info, I'll post it for general consumption. This email was one I sent to a colleague about 2 years ago to help him improve his DJ service and get his rates up from where he was at to closer to where I'm at. None of this is new, but hopefully it might help some of you to think along a new path to improved service. It's helped my colleague enormously.

Clothing.
For a wedding, I usually wear a Dinner Suit, black bow tie and wing collar shirt and clean, polished black leather shoes.  I am dressed as well as the Groomsmen, but usually not quite as flash as the Groom. When you're dressed well, you feel great and you'll find that people are polite and treat you much, much better.  If the Bride & Groom would like me to dress down, I still err on the overdressed rather than underdressed. Keep yourself clean-shaven, hair tidy, nails clean and trimmed, teeth clean and breath minty-fresh.

Equipment.
All very clean, tidy, compact and discreet visually with all extra cases and boxes hidden.  Strap all cables out of sight with velcro tie straps and make your equipment as invisible as possible. You're not a nightclub and big, black boxes never fit into a wedding reception nicely, so use the least amount of gear you can and make sure you're not the biggest visual feature in the room.  For lighting, go with the less-is-more attitude unless specifically requested otherwise. Here's a little thing: NEVER call your console a coffin.  My rig can be viewed on my 'Links' page.

Experience.
I make sure that my clients are aware that I have a large amount of experience in dealing with crowds just like theirs.  I mention references (which I have for view in a nice presentation folder) and venues that recommend me. I ALWAYS refer them to my website.

Evaluations.
After every event, send out an evaluation form with a field for comments with a stamped, self-addressed envelope. I've attached mine for your interest. These give you critical feedback and also are a major source of written references.  Above all else, Brides want to trust their entertainer. Don't ever embarrass the Bride. If you aren't sure about some of your correspondence, have a woman read it before you send it to see if it's accidentally creating a negative vibe. Always sound interested and enthusiastic about making their event unique and memorable.

Agreement.
Have a written agreement (don't call it a contract) and insist on a deposit of between 25% and 50% of the total fee. Brides don't feel safe unless they have you legally booked and there are too many cheap operators who will bait-and-switch (book the job and pass it off to another DJ). Make a guarantee that you'll be there personally.  On receipt of the agreement and deposit, write a letter confirming the details.

Set up.
Try to set up before any guests arrive at the venue. The sight of a DJ or Roadie sweating gear into a venue really removes the mistique and magic. You'll love just turning up, looking like a million dollars and getting started.

More than music.
Offer MC duties, Grand Entrance announcements, anniversary dances and other interactive things. Use a cordless microphone and let your personality show through. Offer your mic for their speeches.  Any monkey can just press play, although reading the crowd, planning the night, building energy levels and the technical aspects take thousands of hours to become profficient at.  Keep your volume as low as you can. If people are leaning in to each other to converse while they are seated, you are TOO LOUD. Angle the speakers better, adjust the EQ or simply turn it down. Remember that many oldies find heavy bass sounds physically painful. Your hearing will last longer too!

Website.
Get one!  Make sure it's a good one that appeals to women.  I have had clients book me through my website without even speaking with another DJ because they liked what they saw.  Remember that getting entertainment for the wedding is just item 237 on a Bride's list of things to do and if you can make it easy for her, she'll book you even if you are a bit pricier.  Give a short biography of each DJ if you're a multi-operator company and just for yourself if you are a solo.

General.
Price other wedding items.  120 silk seat covers @ NZD$6.00 is NZD$720.00, a cake might be NZD$400 to NZD$800, stationary might be NZD$1500 and the best DJ in town is only NZD$650.00!  The DJ can make 80% of the difference as to whether a reception is a success or failure, so educate your clients to this. 

Think about this;

Before offering a quote, I ask lots of questions so I know exactly what sort of function I am quoting on.  Imagine going to a Doctor feeling ill and he just said "Take two of these pills" without first asking a few questions about how and where you feel sick.  You'd doubt his professionalism wouldn't you?  It's the same with DJ's.  Act, look and sound totally professional in everything you do.  I often tell clients that Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce and Ferrari are all expensive, but they are still highly desirable and sell their product as fast as they can make it.

The bottom line is that I really don't do much differently to many other operators in Wellington (New Zealand), but the perception from my clients is that because I am expensive and am professional and proficient in my dealings with them, they are happy to pay the extra.  Many clients say to me "Wow that's expensive! You MUST be good."

Other than my current Winter special, I don't discount or match prices either.  If my clients want ME, they pay my price.  Simple.  During a function I spend a lot of time making sure that my sound levels and quality are spot on and that the lights look great.  I walk out into the crowd and onto the dancefloor during a night and make sure the crowd can see that I'm tuning the system to be at it's best levels for them also.  I always stand (or dance) rather than sit behind my rig.  I never fold my arms and I try to smile throughout the night, looking interested and appearing to be having a fun time, even if I'm bored witless!

There are probably lots of other things I do without thinking about them, but really I am simply asking for the money that I feel I am worth.  Ask yourself "What would I be prepared to pay for my services?"  Don't EVER run down your opposition- compliment them and sell your OWN benefits instead.  Let what you don't say about other DJ's be the things that you sell about your own service.  Visit Last Dance Entertainment and look at their website. Download their audio demo. That's a USD$2000 DJ service. Visit Rob Clark and download one of his video clips. See some things there you could start doing to make your service different?

Just been to the Rob Clark site. Great entertainer! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Heres my customer survey form, that I send out after a gig. I also use a freepost service for all corrospondence, that way the client never needs to "find a stamp"

Sorry, looks like the fields have jumped out of place, but you get the drift

CUSTOMER SURVEY

Name of Client. «Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname» Date of Function. «Function Date»

Name of Artiste. «Artiste» Type of Function. «Function Type»

Thank you for taking a few moments of your time to complete this questionnaire, please indicate the comment

closest to your response to the associated question.

1. Did the artiste arrive and set up on time ? Early On Time Late

2. Was the artiste dressed suitably for the occasion ? Too Formal Just Right Too Casual

3. Was the size of the disco suitable for the venue ? Too Big Just Right Too Small

4. Did the artiste present themselves well ? Too Chatty Just Right Too Quiet

5. Was the music selection suitable for the occasion ? Too Modern Just Right Too Old

6. Did you have to ask the artiste to change the music ? Yes No

7. How was the volume of the music ? Too Loud Just Right Too Quiet

8. Did you have to ask the artiste to adjust the volume ? Yes No

9. What did you think of the light show ? Too Many Just Right Too Little

10. What did you think of the overall performance ? Good Fair Poor

11. Would you book entertainment from us again ? Yes Perhaps No

12. Could we give your name and number as a reference ? Yes No

13. If you enjoyed the service we provided, would you like to leave a message on our guestbook,

www.mike.moore.ent.clara.net, and from main menu, select sign guestbook.

14. Any other comments : (Please use the back of this sheet for additional space)

This is the covering letter to go with the form:

«Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname»

«Clt. Add #1»

«Clt. Add #2»

«Clt. Add #4»

«Clt. Add #5»

«Clt. Add #6»

«Clt. Postcode»

Sunday, 11 April 2004

Dear «Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname»

Thank you for booking «Artiste», for a / your «Function Type» at «Venue Add #1», on «Function Date». I hope

all went very well, and as part of our continuing policy to ensure we are suppling entertainers of a very high

standard, we would like to ask if you could take a few minutes to complete our customer survey form, as your

opinion and comments are valuable to us, so that we can maintian a standard, expected by everyone that uses

our services.

Yours sincerley,

MIKE MOORE

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Oh well, gone this far, heres some more:

The Contract - Front

CONTRACT

CONTRACT NUMBER: «Contract Number» C DATE: «Date Cont. Sent»

An agreement made on the date below, between, «Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname», for and on behalf of, «Client» ,

hereinafter called the management, and «Art. Title» «Art. Surname», for and on behalf of, «Artiste»,

hereinafter called the artiste(s), under which the management engages the artiste(s), and the artiste(s) accepts

the engagement to appear at the venue, for the fee(s), and on the date(s) shown within this contract, subject to

the terms and conditions of this contract.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SCHEDULE

Venue : «Venue Add #1» «Venue Add #2» «Venue Add #3» «Venue Add #4» «Venue Add #5»

Occasion : «Function Type»

Date Of Appearance : «Function Date»

Set Up By : «Set Up By»

Performance Times : «Hours Required»

Fee : «Fee» Advance Payment: «Deposit»

Balance Due On Evening : «Balance»

Other Information : «Rel. Details #1» «Music #1»

And now the back:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. Financial settlement to take place by cash at the start of the performance(s), or by cheque to Mike Moore Entertainments no later than fourteen days prior to the performance(s). If additional performance time is required, the fee for such time must be agreed with, and paid to the Artiste(s) at that time. All other methods of payment will be by mutual agreement.

2. This contract reflects the verbal agreement, and shall include any terms and conditions agreed prior to its issue, and shall be deemed accepted unless a written objection is received within fourteen working days of the issuing date. No alterations may be made to this contract by, either the Management or the Artiste(s) without prior approval by, the Management or the Artiste(s).

3. In the event of the Management wishing to cancel this contract for any reason other than Act of God or National Disaster, any advance payment made will be forfeited, or a cancellation fee of not less than one half of the agreed fee will be applied for. If the cancellation is within thirty days of the performance the whole of the agreed fee will be applied for.

4. In the event of the Artiste(s) wishing to cancel the contract, the Artiste will indemnify Mike Moore Entertainments against the cost of loss and, or damage in full, unless due to accident or sudden illness, In this event a medical certificate signed by a medical practitioner, must be supplied to the Management and Mike Moore Entertainments within ten working days. In the event of the client seeking compensation, Mike Moore Entertainments will not be liable under any such claim, and the contracted Artiste will only be liable for a sum up to and not exceeding the contracted amount.

5. Mike Moore Entertainments reserves the right to substitute a similar Artiste(s) in the event of the contracted Artiste(s) being unable to appear for any reason.

6. Mike Moore Entertainments will not be liable for non-fulfilment of this contract by the Management and, or the Artiste(s), although every reasonable precautions will be taken.

7. The Management will allow suitable time for the installation and dismantling, and removal of equipment (normally one hour). The Management also ensures that safe and adequate power is available. The Artiste(s) ensures that any equipment that requires connection to a power source is electrically safe and conforms to the HSE EAW Act 1989, and any amendments thereafter.

8. Any re-engagement of the Artiste(s) must be transacted through Mike Moore Entertainments, also any enquiry to the Artiste(s) in respect of any engagement by guests, customers and, or staff must be transacted through Mike Moore Entertainments, no personnel cards or telephone numbers are to be shown or exchanged.

9. The Artiste(s) is responsible for any taxes due, arising from this performance, and will indemnify Mike Moore Entertainments from such taxes should a claim arise.

10. The Artiste(s) and there assistants will conduct themselves in a proper manner throughout there attendance at the venue, and will respond to the Managements requests as to volume, siting of equipment and, or any other reasonable requests. The Management will supply suitable changing facilities where required.

11. The Artiste(s) shall be in no way liable for breach of byelaws, or conditions under which the venue is leased, hired or entrusted to the Management. The Management also ensures that all appropriate licenses, as required by law, are in force at the time of the performance(s).

12. The Management will provide adequate supervision of it’s guests, customers and, or staff at the venue, and will be liable for any loss of, or damage to, the equipment, vehicles, or personnel belongings, caused by guests, customers and, or staff.

13. The Artiste(s) and the Management offers assurance that no previous contract exists that may prevent the Artiste(s) from fulfilling the performance(s) referred to in this contract and subsequently, no such contract will be entered into from the date of signing.

14. Light refreshments and soft drinks to be made available to all artistes and their assistants, where they are required to be “on site” for more than 5 hours.

15. E. & O.E.

And then the wedding questionaire:

Wedding Reception Qustionaire

Name: «Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname» Venue: «Venue Add #1»

Contract Number: «Contract Number»C. Date: «Function Date»

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Bride’s Family Groom’s Family

Bride’s Name . Groom’s Name .

Mother’s Name . Mother’s Name .

Father’s Name . Father’s Name .

Wedding Party

Chief Bridesmaid’s Name . Bestman’s Name .

Additional Information

Is there an evening buffet. Yes / No. If Yes, what time will it be served .

Will you be cutting the cake during the evening Yes / No. If Yes, what time .

Is there any other entertainment Yes / No. If Yes, what type, and what time. .

Music

Bride & Groom’s 1st Dance .

Father / Daughter Dance (if required) .

Mother / Son Dance (if required) .

Are the Bride & Groom leaving early Yes / No. If Yes, what time .

Will the Bride throw her garter Yes / No. If Yes, is a specific song required .

Will the Bride throw her bouquet Yes / No. If Yes, is a specific song required .

Would you like the traditional wedding archway when you leave Yes / No.

If Yes, is a specific song required .

If there is any other information that we should know, please use the reverse of this sheet.

And the Music Request sheet.........

MUSIC REQUEST FORM

Name: «Clt. Title» «Clt. Surname» Venue: «Venue Add #1»

Contract Number: «Contract Number»C. Date: «Function Date»

If you wish you may use this form to select any special music, or a guide to the type and style of music that you feel,

would be appropriate for your evenings entertainment. Please limit specific requests too no more than fifteen, as

requests will be taken on the evening.

SONG REASON (if any)

1)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

3)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

Please add any "Do Not Play's" here.

Well that should keep you busy for a little while.

If you have any questions, I 'll try and answer them for you

Hi

Is this a cut and paste from the covering letter itself, as there are 3 spelling errors

Supplying, Maintain and sincerely

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Em, spell check never picked them up.

Also on the contract (front) cut and paste has missed out the bottom bit were everybody signs............

Back to the drawing board

Mikeee, if you want me to attach the actual word document which you use to your post, then E-mither it to me, and i'll attach it to your post for you. It may be far easier for members to download the document, rather than try to cut and paste a massive post of text http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

The whole lot is on it's way to you, many thanks

Here in New Zealand, all of the top earning DJ's (on a price-per-function basis) insist on a deposit and a completed Entertainment Agreement or contract. Very few of the bottom earners do the same. Is this true also for the UK?

I believe it is standard practice here in the UK... deposit/balance on evening - contract issued to client... as per mikeee!

Richard, I dont think you have yet grasped that earnings can be very geographical here in the uk.... There is still a difference between a dj who does not charge top whack and a cowboy. Just because someone doesnt charge the top fee doesnt make them any less of a dj, and therefore it shouldnt be presumed that just because they charge a bit less, they wouldnt do something like issue a contract or take a deposit - or protect their earnings in any other way.

Im sure even the top earners can tell a few stories about nightmare gigs - or problems they have encountered with guests - no matter what fee they have picked up!

Edited by kazzachi

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard, I dont think you have yet grasped that earnings can be very geographical here in the uk.... There is still a difference between a dj who does not charge top whack and a cowboy. Just because someone doesnt charge the top fee doesnt make them any less of a dj, and therefore it shouldnt be presumed that just because they charge a bit less, they wouldnt do something like issue a contract or take a deposit - or protect their earnings in any other way.

Here, Here http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Karen, I understand geographical variances just fine, but the basic truths still hold. There will always be people for whom price is not the most important factor in an event as important as a wedding. Daddy's a successful businessman, they live in a nice house and enjoy the fine things in life. They will hire a better operator at a substantially higher fee if that operator can show why he or she is just a little better than the next choice.

Where geographical and economic considerations come into the picture is the number of these clients that are available in each given market. If there are only two people who fit the profile of your target demographic and neither of them are going to want to hire a top-end DJ, you'll never be truly successful in that area. No point trying to sell snow to Eskimos!

All of the middle and low-end DJ's in my specific geographic market use the same excuse for not charging more, saying that the big money can only be earned in Auckland, New Zealand. I said bo:cense:ocks to the excuse and did it anyway. You don't need to believe me on this if you chose not to- your beliefs are your reality. If you change your beliefs, you will be able to change your reality. It's that simple.

Again I say that if I were in the UK, I'd be charging at least the same as I do now.

and I wonder how many bookings you would get in the UK. It is a fact here that geography does play a part in pricing. Accept it Richard. I should know, I have moved from greater London to the new forest. To get my fee I travel.

If I want to buy a certain product, I could go to Harrods and get it because it is beautifully packaged and pay a lot more... but when I know, that I can get the very same product, minus the expensive wrapping, I think I know where I would rather spend my money.. and do! Did you know that the richer the person, the tighter they hold onto their purse strings Mind you, you will always get the flashy, boastful,vulgar individuals who think that just because they paid more - they have got a better service....I believe the word for these people is "mugs"!

Anybody who believes that because they charge more, minty breath or not, is a "better" dj than somebody who does not charge as much is extremely blinkered - if not hugely egotistical.

If you were totally honest, you would have to admit that if you went up against any other dj worth their salt, and a client saw you both working - but your price was double that of the others, who would they book... you cos you charge more - or the equally capable dj - a fool and his money are soon parted!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kazz, your so beautiful when you get going.

Down in your neck of the woods, most of the hotels are paying £350 + VAT from an agent, so the hotel must be charging at least £400 + VAT to the client. I only know this because I know the agency that are supplying them and I 've let them use a couple of my chaps when they have been short. They normally pay the disco £275.00 (+VAT if applicable).

I think to bring both this thread and wedding charges one into context, you have to know 1) what an agent is charging and 2) what the hotel are charging. neither of which will bring their price down because the disco is only going to charge them £200 /£250.

.. So I reckon thats one thing I have got right then mikeee! I charge the client direct.. there is no third party involved... I get all the money! In fact, the hotel insists that all financial transactions are between me and the client - saves getting into vat problems and all that nasty stuff!

I luv you darling, but that I would is the eception rather than the rule.

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Apr 13 2004, 09:21 AM)
and I wonder how many bookings you would get in the UK.  It is a fact here that geography does play a part in pricing.  Accept it Richard

Karen, with all due respect, please re-read my post. I said "Where geographical and economic considerations come into the picture is the number of these clients that are available in each given market". I accept that. Things are exactly the same whether you're in New Zealand, India, France, America and England. Some areas are more affluent than others, but remember that you have a choice as to where you work.

Do I work as many nights per year as my colleague who is less than half my price? Of course not! Do I earn as much or more and offer a better service to each individual client? YES!

When you charge more, you can afford to put more time and effort into each job you do. I meet with all of my clients prior to the event. I tailor my performance (not just the music) to their wedding. I help with the planning of their dream reception. I assist their MC or act as MC myself. I dress better. I set up more tidily and before any guests arrive. I respond to enquiries in a timely fashion. I follow up with letters of confirmation, receipts of payment, satisfaction surveys etc. I give them true peace of mind.

You gave the example of purchasing a product from Harrods or a local supplier. That comparison is faulty because it assumes that the products are identical, which no two DJ's are. It also is based on a product, not a service. People buy a service based on very different things to a product. That book I mentioned by Harry Beckwith explains this beautifully.

Anybody who believes that because they charge more, minty breath or not, is a "better" dj than somebody who does not charge as much is extremely blinkered - if not hugely egotistical.

If you were totally honest, you would have to admit that if you went up against any other dj worth their salt, and a client saw you both working - but your price was double that of the others, who would they book... you cos you charge more - or the equally capable dj - a fool and his money are soon parted!

I find this sort of comment both inflamatory and a little ignorant. I have been 100% honest in all of my comments here and I have proven that my ideas work (for me) by putting them into action.

Again you assume that I perform and offer no more to my clients than the next DJ. You also assume that my clients are fools. I can assure you that the people that hire my services now are generally far, far more astute than the people I used to work for when I was just an average DJ charging an average fee. They are more pleasant to deal with, more polite, better behaved and never make an issue of paying. They are anything but fools. Most of my clients now tend to be white-collar workers rather than blue-collar and many of them are professionally qualified people such as Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants and Managers.

Karen, I don't set out to disagree with you for the sake of it and I thank you for challenging my beliefs. If you'd asked me 5 years ago, I would have agreed with you 100%. I've since learned that I wasn't correct in all of my assumptions. Just a few hundred years ago, the world was flat and everybody knew that was the absolute truth. Interesting isn't it?

Shame isnt it how adult peope cant respect each others opinions and either get mad or sulk,i have kept out of arguments over the last few days but i must say i have been impressed to see how low standards can go. I know that just because something doesnt work in Norway that it might work in Sweden,i also know what works in London might not work in Hull and i respect that. I am aware that because i am successful in Norway it doesnt mean that i will automaticaly be a success in Britain,in fact i am damn sure i would fall on my a:cense: after so many years away.One can share information and perhaps modify it to suit your particular area but i really think just giving up because you dont agree or respect with somebody elses opinion is just downright respectless.

Edited by C.S

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

QUOTE (Rendezvous @ Apr 13 2004, 02:14 AM)
Do I work as many nights per year as my colleague who is less than half my price? Of course not! Do I earn as much or more YES!

Im curious. How could I start to compile such an accurate list of one, or several of my nearest competitors, in terms of their diary, and invoicing amounts?

Easy: stay very close friends with them and happily share information with one another.

I think this and the wedding charges threads are getting out of hand, why can't we accept that we are all differant and charge differant amounts, and offer differant levels of service.

just because a DJ chooses to cahrge more, and you don't agree with his ways, don't criticise, accept it,

the same can be said for people who charge less, accept it

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

QUOTE (Rendezvous @ Apr 13 2004, 12:09 PM)
Easy: stay very close friends with them and happily share information with one another.

I think, and I mean this constructively, that you're very lucky for that scenario to be present, and work.

Most of....well, certainly the part of the UK which Im in, has too many DJs per town, for the premise of sharing competitive information between a couple of them to build up a clear idea of the overall picture.

Heres a little secret concerning me and my dj agency!

a few years ago i discovered that there was 4 other djs in town who were good but all competing and undercutting each other,so i called a meet and suggested that we all work together and charged the same.They agreed and now we are 9 ! I book them into the suitable clubs/gigs for their particular style.They deliver to me a list of dates that they want off and i write a so called shift list for 2 months at a time for each of them. If a friend rings to book me then one of the others does the booking(i mean negotiates the price),thus saving an enormous amount of so called "friends" getting silly discounts.They each pay me an admin fee to cover my phone bill each month and i actualy pick and choose the gigs i want first. We all get paid the same and nobody undercuts http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif works for us

Edited by C.S

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Come to Torquay where the average price for a disco is £100, I have been charging more than that for years and quite often charge double or more, just because it works for me in Torquay at this moment doesn't mean it would work for C.S. if he returned or than I could charge double if I moved to Norway. Charge what you are happy to charge, work as often as you want to work and never mind how Joe Bloggs disco just down the road is getting on that's his business, I charge for to standard not to a price, whether I am twice as good as Joe Bloggs nobody will ever know because it is all a matter of taste, I may think Chris Moyles is crap and Terry Wogan great, you may not agree with me but who is correct, you will say it is you, I will say me. I have been at the same hotel for 8 years so I'm doing something right, another hotel may not like me at all, I DON'T CARE, I am out every Saturday and I charge what I feel is correct for the venue/date/area.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk