Dj's United

The 70's

Right you lot!

Get them thinking caps on!

We have a forum member who has contacted me via msn, who needs help with some 70's tunes, and as much as I love 70's tunes, I cant be there forever advising or sending over lists, so you lot can help by posting up yours! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Here's some so far!

Contact – Edwin Starr

I will survive – Gloria Gaynor http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Shake your groove thing – Peaches & Herbs

He’s the greatest dancer – Sister Sledge

Cool for cats – Squeeze

Haven’t stopped dancing yet – Gonzalez

Knock on wood – Ammi Stewart

Hot Stuff – Donna Summer

Boogie Wonderland – Earth, Wind & Fire

Aint no stopping us now – Mc Fadden & Whitehead

We are family – sister sledge

Ring my bell – Anita Ward

Lost in music – Sister Sledge

Don’t stop till you get enough – Michael Jackson

Gonna get along without you now – Viola Wills

Gimme Gimme Gimme – Abba

Ladies Knight – Kool & the gang

Que sera mi vida – Gibson Brothers

She’s a lady – Tom Jones

Waterloo – Abba

That’s the way I like it – KC & the sunshine band

Heaven must be missing an angel – Tavares

I love to love – Tina Charles

Kung fu fighting – Carl Douglas

You make me feel like dancing – Leo Sayer

Disco inferno – Trammps

Blame it on the boogie – Jackson 5

I’m every woman – Chaka Khan

I’m in the mood for dancing – The Nolan’s

Never had love like this before – Detroit Emeralds

posting up yours! 
What do you mean by this!?

Were you born yet in the 70's, Paula??? Nice list.

Here's mine:

Push Push (In the bush)-Musique

Spandisco-Love Child's Afro-Cuban Band (I love that name!)

Cherchez le Femme-Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

Too Hot for Love-THP Orchestra

Zodiac-Roberta Kelly (my wife's favorite)

Romeo & Juliet-Alec R. Constandinos

I've Found Love (Now That I Have Found You)-Love & Kisses

Love in C Minor-Cerrone

Shame-Evelyn Champagne King

Hot Shot-Karen Young

Cocomotion-El Coco

More, More, More-Andrea Tru Connection

Native New Yorker-Odyssey

Upside Down-Diana Ross

Get on the Funk Train-Munich Machine

The Hustle-Van McCoy

Fly Robin Fly-Silver Connection

Runaway-Salsoul Orchestra featuring Loleatta Holloway

Doctor's Orders-Carol Douglas

Disco Nights (Rock Freak)-G.Q.

Rock The Boat-Hues Corporation

That's Where The Happy People Go (Disco)-Trammps

Spring Rain-Silvetti

Dance! (Disco Heat)-Sylvester

Rough Diamond-Madleen Kane

Let's Start the Dance-Bohannon

Love and Desire-Arpeggio

You're the first, the last, my everything-(the late great) Barry White

Believe it or not, I still have all of these (and more) in the original vinyls!

Next....

It is not best to use our morals weekdays, it gets them out of repair for Sunday. Mark Twain

What do you mean by this!?
Exactly what I done and what you have done. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Were you born yet in the 70's, Paula???
http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/huh.gif Irrelevant! It doesnt matter when you was born,it's what you know now!

Do you think dj's that were born in the 70's should only have knowledge say from the 80's? Will you only be encourging your son to play down from what he knows or will you be taking him on a musical journey back to the 50's? Or should I have started this thread at the 40's/50's and surprised the hell out of you lot! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif (its what you choose to acknowledge)

Hi folks

Feels like ages since I was here last.

Ok, here's a list off the top of my head...and sorry about spelling, what can I say, I'm just crap.

Donna Summer, I feel love.

Eruption, I can't stand the rain.

Knack, My cherona.

Earth Wind and Fire, September.

B A Robertson, Bang bang.

Elvis Costello, Oliver's army.

Ian Durey and the Block head, Hit me with your rythm stick.

Blondie, heart of glass.

Ike and Tina Turner, Nutbush city limits.

David Bowie, Jean jeanie

Clout, Substitute.

Chickery Tip, Son of my father.

Elton John, Crocodile rock.

Racey, Lay your love on me.

Showaddywaddy, Under the moon of love.

Sailor, Girls girls girls.

Typically Tropical, I'm going to Barbados.

Jacksons, Blame it on the boogy.

I'll stop hogging the danceflor now.

Nice to be back.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

If you are not too "hot" on any genre of music - and your client wants you to play ie., 70s, Always ask the client exactly what they like...... Some people who ask for 70s are looking for 70s rock and hate 70s disco... so Lets stick together - Roxy Music would go down better with some clients than Boogie Wonderland would with another!

If you really arent up to speed with a good sound knowledge of any particular type/era of music, my advice would be not to take the gig in the first place - I still pass over bookings if I know I dont know enough about the music that the client wants - its ok if they only want a little bit of the stuff... but when they want a whole evening its a different matter.

There are hundreds of 70s compilations available - so my advice is to go buy and have a listen. Remember - always ask your clients specific questions about their music tastes and you should be ok.

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You guys covered most of mine except for the Pistols!

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Paula, hope you didn't think I was being "cheeky" (I think that's what you folks on that side of pond call being a smart-ass) in earlier post. Just that I believe you're 28/29? and know 70's titles that many who danced to them in the 70's don't know. I'm impressed http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif You can play at my 50th b-day party any time!

You're absolutely correct: if you don't have a wide knowledge of all musical genres/periods, you're not much of a dj/kj (kj's are almost non-existant here in the US).

Here's some non-disco:

Hotel California-The Eagles

Rhianon-Fleetwood Mac (just saw them in concert 3 mos. ago-still great)

Young Americans-David Bowie

Saturday Night's Alright-Elton John

Jumpin' Jack Flash-Rolloing Stones

I Wanna Be Sedated-The Ramones

God Bless the Queen-Sex Pistols

Rock n Roll All Night-Kiss

Show Me The Way-Peter Frampton

I Shot The Sheriff-Eric Clapton

Frankenstein-Edgar Winter

Smoke on The Water-Deep Purple

Celluloid Heroes-The Kinks

Oye Como Va-Santana

Born To Be Wild-Steppenwolf

Freebird-Lynnyrd Skynyrd

Dream On-Aerosmith

White Rabbit-Jefferson Airplane

White Room-Cream

Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen

Light My Fire-The Doors

Layla- Derek & The Dominoes

Evil Woman-Electric Light Orchestra

Fly Like an Eagle-Steve Miller

Locomotive Breath-Jethro Tull

My Generation-The Who

Gimme Some Lovin'-Spencer Davis Group

That's all for now...

It is not best to use our morals weekdays, it gets them out of repair for Sunday. Mark Twain

Paula, hope you didn't think I was being "cheeky" (I think that's what you folks on that side of pond call being a smart-ass) in earlier post. Just that I believe you're 28/29? and know 70's titles that many who danced to them in the 70's don't know. I'm impressed  You can play at my 50th b-day party any time!

My age means nothing,

I've had converstions with many people asking "How'd you know that" if your intrested in this line of work you famairise yourself with all different types of music,it also helps that I have quite a music orientated background!

The above listing was purely a selection of songs that I have played,danced and sung to from the 70's era.

How many 50th b'day's are you planning on having? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

(kj's are almost non-existant here in the US).

Hmmnn...I feel a that holiday thread coming back http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Edited by paula

Hey Paula admit it you are getting on luv! I know nothing about pre-war blues does this make me a bad dj?

Keep pasties Cornish

Hey Paula admit it you are getting on luv! I know nothing about pre-war blues does this make me a bad dj?

Nope but saying paula's getting on makes you bad!!!!!!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fish.gif

Spin

Hey Paula admit it you are getting on luv!
http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

I know nothing about pre-war blues does this make me a bad dj?
No, But you can look up Robert Johnson http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

( Where's me bouncy smilelies gone? ) http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Like a fine wine Paula! Yeah bring back the bouncy ones http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Keep pasties Cornish

Ere you lot.... leave my little mate alone! She is on 27! And, as I keep telling you all, age aint nothing but a number.... and so what if mine just happens to be 42!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe Dancing Queen by Abba was a 'hot little ditty' from the era you speak of.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Ere you lot.... leave my little mate alone! She is on 27! And, as I keep telling you all, age aint nothing but a number.... and so what if mine just happens to be 42!

YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD! NOW BEHAVE.......

(But Bird! me is actually 28)

Jorge,

We don't really bring age into discussions about D.J'ing experience or music "programming", since I know that people will often take offence. I've previously helped at D.J'ing workshops where 16 or 17 year olds are happily playing music from era's well beyond their "time" most of these are now in their early 20's and will happily play a quick step or a waltz at Grandma's 80th Birthday!.

Equally I have met "newbies" in their 40's who, through inexperience, would think nothing of playing a 60's track followed by a hard house track...just because it had been requested and they thought that it was their duty to play it next (to impress) regardless of the reaction of the dancefloor or whether it was even appropriate!.

I'm 30 - not THAT much older than Paula, and if you don't want to do the math that puts my birthdate at 1973. Now I often do entire retro nights of 50, 60 and 70's music or even soley 60's nights. I don't like the music personally, but I have no objection to playing it and making a living from it!. Would you consider me to be any less of a D.J than a 56 year old for example? - purely because of a date of birth?.

Don't confuse people's age with their music experience or how good they are as a D.J sometimes people can surprise you. There are good D.J's and bad D.J's around and those who will only play what they want to hear and that can apply to D.J's of any sex or any age!. So, far safer not to generalise!.

Age is never(and should never be an issue) when talking about djing or any kind of work....

Many people under 40 do great 60's etc discos, and many over 40's do great Dance/R&B etc nites....

Its if the DJ can hold a crowd that really matters, not what year they were born!

as cuban pete says, if you only have a knowledge of hard house or obscure Detroit techno, you are going to find yourself with a large record collection, but not too many regular bookings, unless your name is Fergie or Judge Jules!

although many people here clearly have a wide knowledge of many genres of music

I plays lots of different kinds of music doing discos, but I know how programme a set and keep a crowd dancing, and that with microphone and people skills etc means I keep working..you can do that at any age....

As with any job, music etc research counts, this is where a good small cd shop is always good

three reasons:

1/ They will let you listen to stuff, which a major chain generally doesn't..

2/They will give you discount on bulk purchases(ie more than 1)

3/ Most people when they are looking for a dj for a party will ask someone in the local record shop if they know anyone....a few business cards are always handy!

I'm as happy playing quickstep music, as Bill Haley, as the Beatles, as Loletta Holloway, as ABC, as Bon Jovi, as S Club 7, as Beyonce...(note from the 50's- this year!)

As long as you can read a crowd, keep a crowd happy, you stay in business

Now Classic 70's dance floor fillers

there are many

heres a few popular ones

Boogie Wonderland EWF

Le Freak Chic

We are Family Sister Sledge

You Sexy Thing Hot Chocolate

Trammps-Disco Inferno

Keep on Dancin-Gary's Gang

Loletta Holloway and the Salsoul Orchestra(conducted by Vince Montana, who now makes music for weddings!) Runaway

anything from the first Salsoul Orchestra LP

O'Jays I love Music

Intruders I'll always love my mama

Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band I'll play the fool

Abba Dancing Queen

For the non disco stuff(great background music too!)

anything by

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Carpenters

Billy Joel, Piano man etc

Tina Turner, The Best, Private Dancer etc

anything from the Eagles Greatest Hits

check out the DMC and MUsic Factory websites lots of great 70's and 80's etc

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/oops.gif I seem to have touched a very delicate nerve. As I have noted previously, I did not intend to imply that age has anything to do with being a good dj; simply that Paula's knowledge impresses me.

Perhaps it's something in the water on this side of the pond, but I have met many, many US dj's (both mobile & club venues) who know only the most popular (i.e. radio edits) tracks prior to their own generation. Those who are truly multi-dimensional are few and far between.

I myself, though I haven't been in the business for over 15 years, am familiar with BT, The Chemical Bros, Paul Oakenfold, etc. as equally as - yes, Robert Johnson, the self-taught blues pioneer from the Mississippi delta who influenced many, including Muddy Waters and T-Bone Walker.

Age IS irrelevent and has little impact on talent.