Dj's United

Hi all,

Currently I have G clamps fitted to all my lighting (Abstract VRX and Extreme series).

But in a bid to cut down set up times, I intend to start transporting my lights already wired and mounted directly to the T-bars.

In the next day or two I intend to order some cases from ADDA like this:

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/3599/robbiedowneslightingcasac5.jpg

This is a case for two Abstract XP2 or XP3's.

It would have a handle on top to allow me to carry one case in each hand (ie two cases at once) as well as a handle at each end to aid with loading in to a car.

I believe each loaded case will weigh around 25kg, which I can just about manage in each hand. And I know I can just about lift two lights on a T-bar above my head to put on a tripod.

But before I go ahead and order, has any one any comments or advice?

Does anyone else already carry their lights like this?

Or would any Abstract lighting owners want to piggy back on my order to save some money?

I too also have the G clamps already on my lights... I have a trunk type box which is padded out with foam. I can get 4 scanners in this box, yes it weights a ton but A. its on wheels & B. there is 2 of us to lift it.

The box only cost me £13. Am sure adda (although quality) will be a lot more than 13 notes.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Thanks for the PM. I haven't visited this site for a looooooooong time, so I never would have seen your thread. I have also been thinking down the same route, but in the meantime have opted for a quick-fit-and-release system for my lights. Check the thread HERE.

Having a prewired and fitted T-bar in a flightcase would trim my pack-down time to around 10 to 15 minutes when I'm using the single PA system and about 5 minutes more with the double rig. It would be reasonably heavy, but not impossibly so- the Acrobats are 8kg each.

A good idea without doubt, apart from cutting down time it also saves the lights getting knocked around as you mount them.

I would look into making your own boxes if your at all practical though, they are so simple to build and you'll save a small fortune.

You can also custom build them to suit your rig and include space for cables and other bits and bobs , and also design them to stack neatly alongside other items in your van/trailer/car. I set out the available space in my vehicle within my garage, and then planned where everything would go in order to stack neatly and take up the least space. In that way I now have a loading order when breaking down ... it saves lots of time and effort ..Dave

dj

flightcases often seem more expensive that the thing that is going to be cased has anybody found other methods of flightcasing which are cheaper

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I would look into making your own boxes if your at all practical though, they are so simple to build and you'll save a small fortune.

You can also custom build them to suit your rig and include space for cables and other bits and bobs , and also design them to stack neatly alongside other items in your van/trailer/car.

flightcases often seem more expensive that the thing that is going to be cased has anybody found other methods of flightcasing which are cheaper
I don't mind paying for cases. I consider it a good investment to keep my gear in good condition and looking like new.

Years ago, when I had lots of time, and not much money I did build some cases. But now that I have little spare time and charge a good rate, I'm happy to pay a professional company to make custom cases to my own design.

Thanks for the PM. I haven't visited this site for a looooooooong time, so I never would have seen your thread. I have also been thinking down the same route, but in the meantime have opted for a quick-fit-and-release system for my lights. Check the thread HERE.

Having a prewired and fitted T-bar in a flightcase would trim my pack-down time to around 10 to 15 minutes when I'm using the single PA system and about 5 minutes more with the double rig. It would be reasonably heavy, but not impossibly so- the Acrobats are 8kg each.

It's great to hear from you Richard. smile icon

I remember the post you link to, but reading it again has given me another idea:

The actual light brackets are closer to the center of my lights than my original drawing. More like this:

So you can see that once the lights are turned 90 degrees for use (and angled) there is not much space between them. - And as they are both identical lights, they look better with at least 1M apart.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5778/robbiedowneslightingcasgl6.jpg

However if I used your sliding bracket idea, I could move them further apart once out of the case, like this:

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8338/robbiedowneslightingcasch6.jpg

The only problem is that my current stands have a round T-bar, so I would need to change to a square section T-bar.

Again I welcome any comments or suggestions.

I've been quoted £91ea+vat for two of these, and £85ea+vat for four cases by Monica at Adda for their light weight fiberboard cases.

I've also spoken to 5 Star Cases about a flight case version, but their guy told me that due to the weight of the lights they would need to make the cases from 9mm ply, which would mean that the case weighed over 20Kg. With the lights and T-Bar, this would take the total to 40Kg - certainly much more than I can carry in one hand!! So I never got as far as a price!

It looks like the Adda cases are favorite, but is a little more pricey than I expected (my previous double light cases from them were about £70 each).

I welcome any other comments.

PS: Image Shack seems to have some problems. If the drawings above don't load, try refreshing this page.